How to Hack Your Metabolism With Lumen
For the past four weeks I’ve been using the Lumen device. The first device that apparently ‘hacks your metabolism’. I wanted to use Lumen, partly to see how the device works, but also to see if Lumen could help someone like me – a seasoned dieter, nutritionist, healthy eater and former athlete! I decided to test it while following a my own nutrition plan – exercise, calorie deficit and keto-ish style diet. If you’re not familiar with Lumen, I’m first going to tell you what it is and how it works, plus my personal experience using this device.
What is the Lumen Device?
Lumen is a handheld portable device that measure your metabolism via patented technology of a single breath. The technology helps you measure your metabolic flexibility. It uses an app to help you track the data from the device. The app also provides plenty of useful information that can teach you everything about calories, macros, food and what to eat. Basically, it’s like having a nutritionist on call 24/7.
How Does it Work?
Lumen uses a CO2 sensor and flow meter to determine the concentration of CO2 in a single breath. The device indicates the type of fuel your body is using to produce energy. The CO2 concentration is measured when you inhale a fixed volume of air through the device, holding it for 10 seconds and then fully exhaling. This type of technology was only available at high level labs and hospitals, using much more complicated and cumbersome devices.
Is the Technology Accurate?
Lumen uses RER – Respiratory Exchange Ratio. The RER is the ratio between the amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) produced in metabolism and oxygen (O2) used. The ratio is determined by comparing exhaled gases to room air. The more times you use the device, the more data Lumen can use to give you an accurate interpretation of what your metabolism is actually doing.
These real time insights can help provide insights on your metabolism, and make changes accordingly to your daily nutrition to improve your metabolic flexibility: your body’s ability to shift efficiently between using fats or carbs as a source of energy. Lumen is validated with the gold standard of measuring metabolism, and backed by multiple validation studies.
How to Use Lumen
Lumen is extremely easy to use. When you get up in the morning, grab your Lumen! Simply turn on the device and open the app. Hit the breath icon and get ready to take a breath! Follow the instructions on screen, take a deep breathe, hold your breath for 10 seconds, then release your breathe. Lumen will determine the source of your body’s fuel – carbs or fats.
Based on the reading, Lumen will determine if your body is burning fat, carbs or both and provide a reading on a scale of 1 to 5, where 1 = burning only fat, 5 = burning only carbs. Lumen will then provide a personalized nutrition plan for the day. It can also provide guidance on sleep and exercise. You can also track your cycle, so you’ll be able to account for extra calorie or carb cravings!
Daily Life and Your Metabolic Flexibility
Here’s how Lumen can provide you real time results that can help improve your metabolic flexibility.
- Morning Breath – get ready to take a breath and see how your metabolism is affected by your sleep.
- Lumen Level – are you burning fat, carbs or both?
- Customized Nutrition – based on your reading, Lumen will give you the amount of each macro you should be eating. You can also hit the meal inspiration tab and find meal examples with set ‘g’ weights and exchanges for foods if you don’t like something.
- Take a Breath Before Your Workout – take a breath and see if your body is burning carbs or fat, and if you should fuel up before your workout.
- Take a Breath After Your Workout – take another breath and see if you used up all your fuel during your exercise.
- Nighttime Breath – take a breath before you sleep and see if your body is burning fat or carbs before you sleep.
Benefits of Using Lumen
- Be in the Know – tells you if you’re burning fat, carbs or both?!
- Tracks Your Nutrition – adjusts based on what your body is doing in real time, no need to wait to ask your nutritionist if you should decrease or increase your carb intake, or your calorie intake.
- Real Time Results – the more you use the device the more accurate your results, you’ll begin to understand what your body is actually doing to improve your metabolic flexibility.
- Provides Meal Planning Ideas – helps you with what to eat, lots of examples of what kind of foods and meals you should eat – with exchanges if you don’t like something.
- Provides Your Calories/Macros – will adjust your calories and macros based on your daily breath results
- Improves Your Metabolic Flexibility – you’ll learn about your metabolism and adjust your nutrition to improve your metabolism’s ability to burn calories!
Features & Tools of the App
- Meal Planning – With Exchanges
- Personalized Calories/Macros
- Nutrition Information
- Weight Loss Tracking
- Sleep Tracking
- Cycle Tracking
I honestly love this device; I learned a lot about my metabolism. It made me more aware of what my body actually needed when I needed it. I lost 7 lbs using the device over 4-weeks, and I will continue to use it to track my carb and fat usage. Because of my background I really didn’t need it to provide meal plan ideas, but I did like that it provided me with a sliding range for my carbs. I will say that I ate less carbs than they recommended, but I think that also comes with years of dieting to understand how much my body really needs to function optimally.
I enjoyed taking my morning reading, if I was still burning carbs, I would hold off on eating. If I was only burning fat, then I knew my overnight fast was effective to put me into fat burning and it was ok to eat. I think this device would be perfect for people who are using intermittent fasting and want to know if it’s a good time to break their fast. Additionally, if you’re looking for a device to help you track your nutrition and give you a better understanding of your nutrition – consider using Lumen. It really is like having a nutritionist in your pocket! Use my code lauren25 to receive a discount. Go to www.lumen.me to learn more about this cool device!
Until Next Time,
Be Fierce & Rule the World!